Our Branch / Photos City History TV: City In Action City Interviews
Quiz Book / frontiers DRUNK In York Private Vice Presidents Club
City Books / Fanzines Bootham Crescent Southern Connections RENEW Membership

York City's Best Ever Team

The supporters vote, naming their best ever City team

In a bid to keep City’s squad fit during the 2020 coronavirus shutdown, we present the “Best Ever YCFC Team Cup”, pitting together 16 City sides from York City’s 98 year history.

Matches will be played daily and City's supporters will be asked to name the winner of each game via a twitter poll. Match results will be based on the poll outcome with final score and commentary aligned to poll result.


YORK CITY 1955 1 (Bottom); Forgan; Phillips, Howe; Brown, Stewart, Spence; Hughes, Bottom, Wilkinson, McNab, Fenton; Sub: -

YORK CITY 1984 2 (Ford, Walwyn); Jones; Evans, McaPhail, Sbragia, Hay; Ford, Haslegrave, Crosby, Pollard; Walwyn, Byrne; Sub: Hood

The final brought together 2 fine sides. Managerless City1955 achieved their greatest days in a memorable FA Cup run whilst challenging for promotion to the second tier. Denis Smith's 101ers City1984 came to prominence in the league and went on challenge for promotion to the second flight and play in more memorable FA Cup games.

It was a tight first half with City1955 pressing down both wings. A City1984 defence well marshalled by John MacPhail and Ricky Sbragia stood firm. As the half progressed, thanks to the busy midfield of Malcolm Crosby and Sean Haslegrave, City1984 came more into the game. It took a last minute tackle from George Howe to prevent John Byrne being clear on goal. The teams turned around at 0-0.

in the second half, City1984 pressed strongly and their efforts were rewarded on the hour. After good play down the left, the ball broke to Keith Walwyn. With his back to goal and closely marked by 2 defenders, near the penalty spot, Keith Walwyn controlled the ball with his first touch, he spun to his left and played the ball left where the onrushing Gary Ford crashed the ball into the net.

The Happy Wanderers were down but not out, Billy Hughes and Billy Fenton were increasingly causing problems and after 75 minutes they were level. After Billy Fenton made ground down his wing, his inch perfect through pass found Arthur Bottom who ran 30 yards before drawing Roger Jones out of his goal and calmly placing the ball into the empty net.

Both sides pressed for a winner. Headers from Norman Wilkinson and Keith Walwyn were both well saved.

With time running out, City1984 won a free kick just inside the opposition’s half. Alan Hay’s long ball into the box saw Keith Walwyn challenge Tommy Forgan, many felt neither got a touch but the ball ended in the back of the net and the goal stood despite City1955 claiming no one touched it to give City1984 a narrow but well deserved 2-1 win.

It was a well deserved win for City1984. All season, they’d brushed aside their opposition, earning City a first ever divisional championship and setting a new Football League record of 101 points, the first ever to top 100 points, and setting club records along the way. The team was to go on and challenge for promotion from Division 3 in each of the next 2 seasons whilst twice reaching Round 5 of The FA Cup. For City1955, their cup run was the pinnacle for the team. In 1954/5, their league form was inconsistent, just 2 wins in the opening 10 games, although good league form alongside their cup run saw the side challenge for promotion. A fixture pile up caused by the cup run saw promotion push fizzle out. Over the next few seasons, the side slipped backwards and never came close to repeating their cup form.

For City1955, Arthur Bottom was their only player to play, albeit briefly, in a higher grade whereas for City1984, John Byrne played top flight football and earned international caps whilst John MacPhail enjoyed 2 promotions helping Sunderland into the top flight and Gary Ford also played at a higher level. Many would have liked to have seen Keith Walwyn play at a higher level believing his strength and commitment would have made him a handful for the best in the land.

Twitter Pool Result (29 votes):
City1955 24% (One Goal 24%, More Than One Goal 0%)
City1984 76% (One Goal 55%, More Than One Goal 21%)

Read More: 1954/5: FA Cup season in review

Read More: 1983/4: 101 Points

Semi Finals

Semi Final draw:

  1. York City 1955 (2) v (1) York City 1938
  2. York City 1974 (1) v (2) York City 1984

Games will be played between March 31 and April 2nd.

Game 1

YORK CITY 1955 2 (Bottom, Fenton); Forgan; Phillips, Howe; Brown, Stewart, Spence; Hughes, Bottom, Wilkinson, McNab, Fenton; Sub: -

YORK CITY 1938 1 (Comrie); Forgan; Phillips, Howe; Brown, Stewart, Spence; Hughes, Bottom, Wilkinson, McNab, Fenton; Sub: -

Old timers eagerly looked forward to the first semi final between City's 2 best ever FA Cup sides. City1938 first created City's cup reputation, smashing attendance records along the way as City reached the quarter finals. City1955 enhanced that reputation going all the way to the semi finals and a replay. The whole world knew about City.

Bootham Crescent witnessed a classic cup tie as the sides went head to head in a thrilling game.

Both sides looked to attack from the start, gradually City1955 began to take control. Thrilling wing play from Hughes and Fenton saw plenty of chances created and it took an alert Wharton to make a couple of fine saves to keep the scores level at half time.

Early in the second half after another probing pass from Howe, Bottom slipped his marker and scored the opening goal, his inch perfect placement giving Wharton no chance.

City1938 pressed for an equaliser. Their hard work was rewarded when Spooner and Baines combined to play in the deadly Comrie who side footed an equaliser.

As both sides pressed for a winner, the front five of City1955 were to prove too strong. Behind them, it was the promptings of loyal, long serving Ron Spence whose through ball played in Fenton to score the winner.

Twitter Pool Result (29 votes):
City1955 93% (One Goal 52%, More Than One Goal 41%)
City1938 7% (One Goal 3.5%, More Than One Goal 3.5%)

Read More: 1954/5: FA Cup season in review

Game 2

YORK CITY 1974 1 (Holmes (p)); Crawford; Stone, Swallow, Topping, Burrows; Lyons, Holmes, Woodward, Butler; Seal, Jones; Sub: Calvert

YORK CITY 1984 2 (Walwyn, Byrne); Jones; Evans, McaPhail, Sbragia, Hay; Ford, Haslegrave, Crosby, Pollard; Walwyn, Byrne; Sub: Hood

2 of City's best ever managers and their promotion heroes clashed in the second semi final. Could the well organised and functional City1974 overcome the flair and power of City1984?

The game got off to a good start with Lyons and Holmes influential down the right and Butler down the left, City1974 pressed hard. Their teamwork made chances for both Seal and Jones. It was a long run from Holmes that led to the opening goal. As he got the better of Hay, MacPhail came across and checked his progress. MacPhail lead the protests as the referee pointed to the spot. Holmes calmly waited and gave Jones no chance from the spot.

As the first half ended, it took a stunning save from Jones to keep City1984 in the game.

With the rain becoming even more torrential, the pitch became even heavier, the sliding tackles of Haslegrave and Crosby saw a shift in the balance of the game.

After an hour, Walwyn picked up the ball just inside the centre circle and set off on a long, powerful run. For someone so big, he managed to evade a number of tackles, walking on water, he waltzed past at least 6 defenders before drawing Crawford to equalise.

Both sides pressed for a winner. But it wasCity1984 who scored the winner with 5 minutes to go. After Walwyn and Byrne combined well, Pollard’s fierce shot was tipped around the post for a corner. From the corner, the referee adjudged Walwyns’s challenge on Swallow to be fair despite Swallow being left face down in the mud, the ball broke to Byrne who beat Crawford from close range to score the winner.

Twitter Pool Result (30 votes):
City1974 36% (One Goal 33%, More Than One Goal 3%)
City1984 64% (One Goal 47%, More Than One Goal 17%)

Read More: Tom Johnston

Quarter Finals

Quarter Final draw:

  1. York City 2012 (0) v (1) York City 1938
  2. York City 1922 (0) v (4) York City 1974
  3. York City 1984 (2) v (1) York City 1993
  4. York City 1955 (3) v (2) York City 1995

Games will be played over the weekend of March 27 - 30.

Game 1

YORK CITY 2012 0; Ingham; Challinor, Smith (C), Doig, Gibson; Oyebanjo, Parslow, Meredith; Blair, Walker, Chambers; Subs: Musselwhite, Fyfield, Potts, Moke, Reed

YORK CITY 1938 1 (Baines); Wharton, Pinder, Barrett, Duckworth, Wass, Hathaway, Earl, Hughes (J), Baines (R), Conmrie, Spooner; Sub: -

Fresh from a convincing win in the previous round, City2012 were confident going into their game with City1938 who were expecting a big following.

Both sides looked to play crisp attacking football. Wharton was called into action to save sharply when Walker did well to outjump the defence and his header appeared destined for the top corner. Wharton was again called into action to save a viscous, bending Walker free kick.

As the game wore on, the City1938 defence began to exert a tight grip on their opponents, their strong tackling being a feature of the game and it highlighted the one dimensional approach of City2012.

At the other end of the pitch, City1938 found it equally difficult to make inroads against a well organised City2012 defence. The decisive moment came on 75 minutes when Earl crossed from the right and Baines swept the ball home from close range.

Twitter Pool Result (22 votes):
City2012 41% (One Goal 27%, More Than One Goal 41%)
City1938 59% (One Goal 45%, More Than One Goal 14%)

Read More: Gary Mills

Game 2

YORK CITY 1922 0; Hendry, Holmes, Thorpe, Lynch, Smith, Acklam, Elliott, Moult, Woods, Lemons, Harron (J); Subs: -

YORK CITY 1974 4 (Jones (2), Swallow, Holmes (p)); Crawford; Stone, Swallow, Topping, Burrows; Lyons, Holmes, Woodward, Butler; Seal, Jones; Sub: Calvert

Recently formed, plucky amateurs, City1922, shock winners in the previous round were up against City1974, a maturing side who'd recently been strengthened with the experienced veterans Lyons and Butler.

Buoyed by their shock win in the previous round, City1922 started strongly and won a penalty after 3 minutes when Swallow was adjudged to have pulled down the skilful Lemons. Harron took the penalty, but it was brilliantly saved by Crawford diving low to his right.

The miss seemed to unsettle City1922 as a well organised City1974 gradually took control.

With Lyons and Butler pulling the strings in midfield, their passes constantly found Seal and Jones. First half goals from Jones and Swallow gave City1974 a 2-0 half time lead.

The second half saw City1974 in control, the long and mazy runs of Holmes being a feature causing City1922's defence plenty of problems. One ended when he was fouled in the penalty box, he picked himself up and scored the resultant penalty. As the game entered injury time, Jones made it 4-0.

Twitter Pool Result (17):
City1922 12% (One Goal 6%, More Than One Goal 6%)
City1974 88% (One Goal 35%, More Than One Goal 53%)

Read More: Jimmy Seal

Game 3

YORK CITY 1984 2 (Byrne, MacPhail (p)); Jones; Evans, McaPhail, Sbragia, Hay; Ford, Haslegrave, Crosby, Pollard; Walwyn, Byrne; Sub: Hood

YORK CITY 1993 1 (Canham); Kiely; McMillan, Stancliffe, Warburton, Hall; Pepper, Swann; McCarthy, Blackstone, Barnes, Canham; Sub: Tutill.

Denis Smith's City1984 could expect strong opposition in the shape of City1993 in a game where 3 of City's best strikers of recent years were on display. City1984 also included 3 of City's best ever home grown talents.

Having been billed as "Team Of The century" by The Yorkshire Evening Press, City1984 lived up to the name with a well deserved win in a closely fought game.

The skill and link up play of Byrne and Ford was a constant threat to the City1993 defence which was well marshalled by a dominant MacPhail and an assured Sbragia. After 30 minutes, Ford made good ground down the right and played an inch perfect through ball to Byrne who shot home from 12 yards. City1984 continued to press, but Kiely's best save was when a dog ran the length of the pitch before being restrained by Kiely.

In the second half, City1993 pressed for an equaliser, with McCarthy and Canhm causing problems down the flanks. Their efforts were rewarded when McCarthy won a free kick just outside the D after a powerful run. Canham's shot was inch perfect, beating the wall and Jones.

With the game approaching injury time, Ford broke down the right wing, from his cross, Walwyn's powerful header was tipped around the post by Kiely. From the resultant corner, MacPhail's towering header beat Kiely to give City1984 a 2-1 win in a thrilling game that could have gone either way.

Twitter Pool Result (22):
City1984 73% (One Goal 50%, More Than One Goal 23%)
City1993 27% (One Goal 23%, More Than One Goal 4%)

Read More: Alan Little

Game 4

YORK CITY 1955 3 (Wilkinson (2), Barnes); Forgan; Phillips, Howe; Brown, Stewart, Spence; Hughes, Bottom, Wilkinson, McNab, Fenton; Sub: -

YORK CITY 1995 2 (Barnes, Murty); Kiely; McMillan, Tutill, Barras, Hall; Williams, Pepper, Jordan; Murty, Peverell, Barnes; Subs: Baker, Atkin

Many considered this to be the to be the tie of the round, City1995 hot on the heels of a win over Manchester United included Dean Kiely just recovered from his broken nose against the swashbuckling attacking talent of City1955.

The game certainly lived up to its billing as both sides were soon on the attack looking for an advantage. City1995 struck first after a surging run from McMillan, his magnificant cross fell to Murty whose shot hit the post, Barnes was quickest to react to score from close range. As City1955 pressed for an equaliser, their pressure eventually told and from a Fenton corner, Wilkinson headed home.

The teams turned around at 1-1 but quickly City1995 re-took the lead when Murty raced onto a pass from Jordan and calmly slotted the ball home.

As the game progressed, City1995 looked to be in control, but the indomitable spirit of City1955 gradually came to the fore. Their pressure finally told with Hughes, who gave a fine display of close dribbling throughout, found Bottom who equalised. With time running out, another Hughes run ended with a cross and thunderous header from Wilkinson which gave Kiely no chance and City1955 a 3-2 win in a pulsating game.

There was enough talent on display to suggest City1955 would make the footballing world sit up and watch such was their fine free flowing football whilst City1995 had much talent on display that was surely destined for greater things.

Twitter Pool Result (19):
City1955 58% (One Goal 53%, More Than One Goal 5%)
City1995 42% (One Goal 21%, More Than One Goal 21%)

Read More: Paul Barnes

Round Of 16

Round Of 16 results:

  1. York City 1922 (3) v (1) York City 2020
  2. York City 1959 (1) v (6) York City 1984
  3. York City 1965 (1) v (2) York City 1993
  4. York City 1938 (2) v (0) York City 2009
  5. York City 1995 (4) v (1) York City 2007
  6. York City 2010 (0) v (2) York City 1974
  7. York City 2012 (5) v (0) York City 2017
  8. York City 1971 (1) v (2) York City 1955

Game 1

YORK CITY 1922 3 (Acklam, Woods, Elliott); Hendry, Holmes, Thorpe, Lynch, Smith, Acklam, Elliott, Moult, Woods, Lemons, Harron (J); Subs: -

YORK CITY 2020 1 (Newton); Jameson; Tait, McNulty, Newton; Griffiths, Moke, Green, Kempster, Ferguson; Burrow, Maguire; Subs: Whitley, King, McLaughlin, Bond, Langstaff

With City’s Fulfordgate ground not yet complete, the game was hastily rearranged for Mille Crux (Haxby Road). Kick off was delayed by 30 minutes as City1922 arrived late, 7 of their team having worked a full Saturday morning shift prior to the game. For City 2020, Dan Maguire passed a late fitness test.

The game started cagily and it was a real clash of styles as City 1922 played a more direct of style whilst City 2020 played a more cultured, passing style of play. For City 2020, the threat of Burrow and Maguire was nullified by the robust City 1922 back line.

The ever present threat of Charles Elliott caused panic and confusion in the City 2020 defence, a mix up between Jameson and Tait allowed Sandy Acklam a simple tap in. The goal seemed to unsettle City 2020 who quickly conceded a second goal afer a fine run and cross from Charles Elliott for Jack Woods to nod home.

City 2020 came out strongly for the second half and looked more lively in a new formation with 3 substitutes, 2 tactical and Ferguson rushing off to be at the birth of his first child. Their endeavour was rewarded with a goal from a Newton free kick. The defensive wall looked as if they'd never seen a wall before.

As City 2020 pressed for an equaliser, Charles Elliott was left one on one with McNulty who he outpaced to calmly slot the decisive goal past Jameson to record an unexpected, but well deserved 3-1 win for City 1922.

Twitter Pool Result (19 votes):
City1922 58% (One Goal 16%, More Than One Goal 42%)
City2020 42% (One Goal 16%, More Than One Goal 26%)

Game 2

YORK CITY 1959 1 (Wilkinson); Forgan; Ramsey, Wass, Patterson, Jackson, Mollatt, Hughes (B), Wilkinson, Wragg, Farmer, Addison; Sub: -

YORK CITY 1984 6 (Walwyn (3), Byrne (2), Pollard); Jones; Evans, McaPhail, Sbragia, Hay; Ford, Haslegrave, Crosby, Pollard; Walwyn, Byrne; Sub: Hood

Still bearing a strong resemblance to the 1955 Happy Wanderers, City 1959 strengthened with the inclusion of young local talent such as Barry Jackson and Colin Addison fancied their chances against City 1984 despite their record breaking of 101 points in a season. With Barry Jackson facing Keith Walwyn and John Byrne at one end of the pitch and John MacPhail and Ricky Sbragia facing Norman Wilkinson and Colin Addison at the other end, the game provided a real opportunity for some of City's best ever players to go head to head.

It was headers that provided the opening goals, from Walwyn and Wilkinson, both towering set piece headers. Walywn's brute strength overcame the naivety of a young Jackson to score from the first corner of the game. After 20 minutes, a breakaway by City 1959 saw them gain their first corner of the game from which Wilkinson's clever positional play saw him make space for himself and head past Jones who was slow to react. Their strike partners provided plenty of the more cultured football, Byrne linking up with Ford to set up a a tap in for Walwyn's second. As City 1959 pressed for an equaliser there were strong claims for a penalty in a rare City 1959 attack, only the sporting Wilkinson didn't appeal. As the game progressed, even the constant niggling of Haslegrave and Crosgby failed to upset Wilkinson.

Just before half time, a surging run by Hay resulted in a goal for Byrne to make it 3-1.

The second half was one way traffic, with Evans and Ford attacking down one wing and Hay and Pollard down the other, City 1984 completely dominated. Walwyn completed his hat trick on the hour whilst late goals for Byrne and an injury time piledriver by Pollard from over 25 yards out from a poor City 1959 clearance completed a 6-1 win for City 1984. For City 1959, only Tommy Forgan's heroics in goal kept the score as low as 6. In their defence, the teenage Jackson showed promise but still lacked the physique to be effective against the experienced Walwywn.

Twitter Pool Result (21):
City1959 0%
City1984 100% (Close Win 43%, Easy Win 57%)

Read More: 1983/4: 101 Points

Game 3

YORK CITY 1965 1 (Aimson); Forgan, Baker, Heron, Woods, Jackson, Walker (D), Weddle, Wilkinson, Aimson, Rudd, Provan; Sub: -

YORK CITY 1993 2 (Pepper (p), Canham); Kiely, McMillan, Hall, Pepper, Stancliffe, Warburton, McCarthy, Blackstone, Barnes, Swann, Canham; Sub: Tutill.

With Paul Aimson leading the line, ably supported by pace and guile of Andy Provan and Billy Rudd, City 1965, including 2 of the 1955 Happy Wanderer in their line up, strongly fancied their chances against the emerging talent of City 1993 in what was expected to be a high scoring game.

City 1993 were the victors in a close game where defences were genrally on top. Both teams were keen to use their wide men to open up the opposition defences, but time and time they came up against some resolute defending. McCarthy and Canham were always prominent, Canham testing Forgan on several occasions with long range shots which Forgan held well. At the other end, chances were few and far between as the teams ended the first half goalless.

As the game opened up, Forgan was twice called into action to make fingers tip saves from Barnes and Warburton from corners before City 1993 won a controversial penalty after jostling at a corner. Pepper confidently put City 1993 1-0 up. Canham quickly made it 2-0 when his long range shot took a wicked deflection completely wrong footing Forgan.

With 10 minutes left, Warburton left the pitch after pulling a hamstring. Tutill came on and his first taste of action saw him foul Provan. From the resultant free kick, Aimson headed home to make it 2-1 meaning a tense final few minutes. City 1965 were unable to find a late equaliser as their opponents held firm, Kiely and Stancliffe were both outstanding.

Twitter Pool Result (25):
City1959 20% (One Goal 20%)
City1984 80% (One Goal 56%, More Than One Goal 24%)

Read More: Paul Aimson

Game 4

YORK CITY 1938 2 (Baines (2)); Wharton, Pinder, Barrett, Duckworth, Wass, Hathaway, Earl, Hughes (J), Baines (R), Conmrie, Spooner; Sub: -

YORK CITY 2009 0; Ingham, Purkiss, Parslow, McGurk, Pejic, Rusk, Mackin, Greaves, Boyes, McBreen, Brodie; Subs: Mimms, Robinson (M), Russell, McWilliams, Sodje

City 1938, FA Cup quarter finalists faced beaten Wembley finalists City 2009 in a game between teams whose cup exploits had overshadowed league form. Their exploits had caught the attention of the footballing world, unbeaten in 6 home FA Cup ties in one season and seeing the Bootham Crescent attendance record smashed 4 times in 2 months. At 28,123, it will take a massive game for it to be broken again.

Hot on the heels of their FA Cup exploits, City 1938 can expect a big following and will hope the goalscoring exploits of Malcolm Comrie, Reg Baines and Peter Spooner will have overcome a strong City 2009 defence featuring Michael Ingham, Daniel Parslow and Dave McGurk.

To boost a mis-firing attack, manager Martin Foyle went with a front 3 of Richard Brodie, Daniel McBreen and a young Adam Boyes but left veteran striker Steve Torpey on the bench to fulfil his more normal duties as assistant manager.

Having expected a successful season, City 2009 had only climbed clear of the relegation and secured safety with a week of the season to go with success over Weymouth, Eastbourne and Lewes.

To avoid a colour clash, City 2009 wore a unique one off strip.

With overwhelming support for City 1938, they were quickly on the front foot and attacking down both wings. Reg Baines was the focal point of the attack and he scored both goals in a comfortable win. The first came after the skilful Malcolm Comrie's long run saw the defence open up in front of him, he played the ball to Baines who slotted the ball home past Ingham. Baines' second was a header from a free kick from Jack Pinder, at the final whistle. The crowd urged him on the complete his hat trick, a feat he'd achieved in the Round 4 win over top fight West Bromwich Albion. Despite a couple of late chances, Ingham got the better of Baines.

On the final whistle, City 1938 received a rousing reception with the 2 local players, Baines and Pinder, being carried off the pitch shoulder high.

For City 2009 it was a disappointing performance, the midfield struggled to get to grips with the game resulting in few chances for their attack.

Twitter Pool Result (18):
City1938 77% (One Goal 33%, More Than One Goal 44%)
City2009 23% (One Goal 17%, More Than One Goal 6%)

Read More: YCFC - The Early Years

Game 5

YORK CITY 1995 4 (Barnes (2), Baker, Barras); Kiely; McMillan, Tutill, Barras, Hall; Williams, Pepper, Jordan; Murty, Peverell, Barnes; Subs: Baker, Atkin

YORK CITY 2007 1 (Donaldson); Evans; Lloyd, McGurk, Parslow, James; Woolford, Panther, Bowey, Lloyd; Farrell, Donaldson; Subs: Peat, Convery, Brodie

Hot on the heels of a memorable night at Old Trafford, City1995 faced City2007 who were on a strong end of season run that was to see them reach the play offs and a game with Morecambe. City1995 packed with upcoming young talent faced City 2007,a rag bag of a side that included Martyn Woolford and Clayton Donaldson alongside journeyman players and a non descript loanee in Craig James.

Many expected to see the attacks on top with Barnes and Donaldson both offering plenty of goals against defences who might buckle under pressure. For City 2007, Billy McEwan was still unsure of his best centre back partnership and fielded raw youngsters McGurk and the emerging Parslow. On paper, City1995 had a more solid defence in Barras and Tutill, although even that was liable to the odd mistake.

Before kick off, one elderly spectator gent was almost thrown out of the ground for hurling abuse at Tom Evans, "Evans, you're hopeless, you couldn't catch a bus and if you dived for it, you'd dive over the bus".

It was a comfortable 4-1 win for City1995 who belied their poor league form to dominate from start to finish. From the off, their wide play put City 2007 on the front foot. It was no surprise when the skilful Jordan beat his man to set up the first goal for Barnes. They continued to attack and were fortunate to double their led when Evans dithered and Barnes nipped in to make it 2. With their pacy wing play and invention midfield of Jordan and Williams they were well in control.

The game was over as a contest just on 75 minutes sub Baker made a near immediate impact. His persistance saw City1995 make it 3 after he harried the defence into a mistake. Only then did City2007 start to show glimpses of their best form with Donaldson, Woolford and Bishop in full flow. Bishop's promptings saw Woolford play in Donaldson to make it 3-1. Any hopes of a comeback were soon squashed when Barras headed home from a corner to make it 4-1 at the final whistle.

it was reported that scouts from a number of clubs were watching Kiely (Newcastle and Plymouth), McMillan (Everton, Sheffield Wednesday and Aberdeen), Tutill, Murty (Reading), Williams (Sunderland) and Barnes (Middlesbrough, Birmingham and other Championship clubs). None of the scouts will have gone away disappointed, indeed Alan Little's biggest job going forward might be resisting offers for several of his players.

Twitter Pool Result (24):
City1995 84% (One Goal 21%, More Than One Goal 63%)
City2007 16% (One Goal 4%, More Than One Goal 12%)

Read More: YCFC: The Monied Years - Big Money Transfers

Game 6

YORK CITY 2010 0; Ingham; Purkiss, McGurk, Graham, Meredith; Lawless, Barrett, Mackin, Carruthers; Brodie, Rankine; Subs: Mimms, Gash, Parslow, Sangare, Pitt

YORK CITY 1974 2 (Jones, Seal); Crawford; Stone, Swallow, Topping, Burrows; Lyons, Holmes, Woodward, Butler; Seal, Jones; Sub: Calvert

An eagerly awaited game saw City 2010 and free scoring Richard Brodie up against the measly City 1974 defence lead by Barry Swallow and Chris Topping in what was expected to be a bruising encounter. The rugged play of Brodie and Rankine against Topping (described by one teammate as having the most viscous scissor kick in the game)and Swallow who was no angel himself.

A strong City 1974 couldn't find a place in their squad for Brian Pollard, whilst up front, the Seal / Jones partnership that had scored 37 goals in the season was up against Richard Brodie who'd scored 37 goals himself during the 2009/10 season.

The game never lived up to its billing as City1974 controlled the pace and tempo. They took an early lead when a through ball from Butler saw Ingham, with a rush of blood to his head, rush out and get caught in no man's land as the ball broke to Jones who calmly slotted the ball home.

City2010 pressed for an equaliser, Brodie's endeavour was always to the fore, but he was let down too often by being caught offisde as City1974 allowed them very few chances.

With 10 minutes to go, City1974 doubled their lead when Seal headed home from close range.

City1974's resolute defence controlled the game whilst their midfield offered plenty of problems to City2010, the mazy runs of Holmes, the clever promptings of Lyons and Butler and behind them Woodward a fine exponent of the new defensive midfield role in protection of his back 4.

Twitter Pool Result (21):
City2010 39% (One Goal 29%, More Than One Goal 10%)
City1974 61% (One Goal 14%, More Than One Goal 47%)

Read More: YCFC: 1973/4: Championship - Here We Come

Read More: Chris Jones

Game 7

YORK CITY 2012 5 (Walker (2), Blair, McLaughlin and Reed); Ingham; Challinor, Smith (C), Doig, Gibson; Oyebanjo, Parslow, Meredith; Blair, Walker, Chambers; Subs: Musselwhite, Fyfield, Potts, Moke, Reed

YORK CITY 2017 0; Letheren; Parslow, Klukowski, Bencherif; Heslop, Newton, Hall, Holmes; Morgan-Smith, Oliver, Parkin; Subs: Simpson, Rooney, Moke, Connolly, Fenwick

It was a case of City 2012 Wembley Wonders up against City 2017 Wembley Wilderness with one team already promoted and the other heading for the nether regions of the football pyramid.

With a double Wembley success fresh in the memories City 2012 were strong favourites to win the tie. Their potent front 3 were well supported by 2 flying wing backs. For City 2017 it had been an extremely disappointing season, but the prolific Parkin always offered hope and goals.

To avoid a colour clash City 2017 wore a change kit, described as electric green or stewards hi-vis yellow. Unusually for a dull day, Ingham wore a cap, presumably to avoid the glare of the opposition shirts.

From the kick off, there seemed to be confusion amongst both teams as Gary Mills' touchline instructions seemed to confuse both sides. His "pass to someone better than you" seemed to get results for City 2012 as Chambers and Blair saw plenty of the ball, whilst it confused City 2017 who tended to stop and scratch their heads as if they were thinking 'who is better than me'. The game eventually settled down into a rhythm after 30 minutes when Jackie McNamara took off his jacket and took over coaching duties for City 2017 from Mills.

Immediately City 2012 scored when Oyebanjo played in Blair to score easily past Letheren who seemed unable to stretch. City 2012 continued to press, and despite a creaking City 2017 defence, only wastefulness in front of goal kept the score at 1-0 until half time.

After 55 minutes, City 2017 throw on Muggleton. Mills looked disgusted as Muggleton launched a series of long throws towards the head of Parkin. They came to no avail.

As even more gaps began to appear in City 2017 defence, goals from Walker (2), McLaughlin (a superb long range shot) and Reed gave the game a more realistic 5-0 result in what proved to be the most one sided game of the round.

Twitter Pool Result (13):
City2012 100% (One Goal 0%, More Than One Goal 100%)
City2017 0%

Game 8

YORK CITY 1971 1 (Aimson); Hillyard; Mackin, Swallow, Topping, Burrows; Henderson, Davidson, Hewitt; Taylor, McMahon, Aimson, Johanneson; Sub: Henderson

YORK CITY 1955 2 (Bottom, Fenton); Forgan; Phillips, Howe; Brown, Stewart, Spence; Hughes, Bottom, Wilkinson, McNab, Fenton; Sub: -

In an eagerly awaited clash, some would say the tie of the round, many predicted a close game between City1955 and City1971. As recently as late 1969, The City1955 Happy Wanderers had re-grouped and earned a 5-5 draw against City in Gerry Baker’s testimonial, many of the players from that night were once again on display.

Could City1955 who'd caught the attention of the whole footballing world with their free flowing football overcome an emerging City1971, a more dour side whose strengths were built around one of the club's best ever centre back partnerships and one of the club's all time best goalscorers.

After an explosive start, the game lived up to its game of the round billing.

Many late comers were still leaving the Social Club and entering the ground as the game kicked off and missed a City1971 goal. Some reports said it was faster than Jim Fryaytt's record 4 second goal, everyone agreed it was definetely within the first 10 seconds. From their kick off, the ball was played backwards and then out to the right wing where Henderson made a short dribble before laying the ball off to Aimson who smashed it home from around the edge of the D. 1-0. His effort was officially timed outside the record held by Jim Fryatt, but its directness, big boot to the winger, dribble, cross, goal, made many believe it beat Fryatt's more laboured effort.

City1971 couldn't press home their advantage and City1955 came more into the game, many of their best attacks coming down their left wing, on the opposite flank, Burrows proved resolute in defying all attacks. After 40 minutes, City1955 equalised following a Brown free kick that Hillyard fumbled, Bottom nipped in to score.

The second half was largely one way traffic as the City1955 forward 5 all looked dangerous. Swallow and Wilkinson were locked in a terrific duel whilst Topping denied Bottom space in which to cause harm. It was left to the wide men to provide the main threat. With 10 minutes left, long serving Spence played in a perfect pass to Fenton whose pace and skill took him past Mackin to score the winner.

The fans mobbed the victors at the final whistle, many went home believing they'd seen the cup winners.

Twitter Pool Result (10):
City1971 30% (One Goal 20%, More Than One Goal 10%)
City1955 70% (One Goal 50%, More Than One Goal 20%)

Read More: YCFC: 1970/1: Promotion - 21 points out of 22

Home City History Email Us